Monday, January 5

My 2015 Theme

Stepping away from the capsule for a few minutes here to talk about my One Three Little Words for 2015.

This is something I have been doing for a few years now. I got the idea from my friend Anandi, and it has stuck with me.  I am not setting resolutions, but creating a theme for my life in the next year.

Usually, my annual theme is summed up in one word, choosing that word carefully by thinking of how it impacts my entire life.  My past years have been things like "focus" and "balance" and "simplify", but this year, I need 3 words.

Consume Less Stuff

It seems like such a simple theme, but when I started to think about it, I found it really permeates my entire life.  Consume less stuff by replacing only when necessary. Consume less food that is bad for me. I had to add that third word because I don't want to consume less time with my kids, but I do want to maintain a balance.  I don't want to consume less time taking care of myself.

My first step is to cancel my ipsy subscription and not renew my Conscious Box subscription (I hadn't planned on renewing that one).  My ipsy subscription was great while it lasted.  It challenged me to think outside my makeup/skincare/haircare routine, but I am starting to get overwhelmed by the number of little bottles and bags and things I don't really need.  It is time to give it up.  :)

I have been slowly weeding out all the "promotional" emails I get and narrowing them down to the stores I really care about.  I tend to be swayed to shop because there is a sale, and I just don't need that.

I am also rethinking the birthday, which is just about a month away.  What I really want is a nice family dinner cooked by my husband, some wine, and to have my kitchen and Rae's room painted (by me or anyone that is going to volunteer).  I have dropped hints (ok, said it out right) and am hoping that the family agrees.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love this! I feel the same way. I would have kept the ipsy if it was bringing me great joy each month, but it was sort of weighing on me - what do I do with the stuff I don't want? What do I do with all these bags that are too tiny? Etc.

Good luck and wishing you the best for 2015 :)